Marlena Simone
       
     
Michele
       
     
Jenny
       
     
Laurel
       
     
Lisa
       
     
Sharene
       
     
Shereé
       
     
Peta
       
     
Lydia Celine
       
     
Mei-Ling
       
     
Meredith
       
     
Katja
       
     
Marlena Simone
       
     
Marlena Simone

What is the hardest thing about being a woman in 2019?
Standing out in a world that is constantly changing and owning the desire to be divergent.

Full Interview

***

WOMAN2020 is a portrait essay to document the firsthand experience of women during the current movement and what needs to be done as a society to propel the next generation forward.

Exhibition Opening, Spring 2020

Michele
       
     
Michele

Do you think the current movement will be the one to change things for future generations? Yes, because women now are involving future generations in the movement. I think future generations will be the ones to change things even more because it is their movement too and they feel that. I have hope.

Full Interview

Jenny
       
     
Jenny

What is the most positive thing about being a woman in 2019?
Women still have a long way to go, but the best part about being a woman now versus how it was even just two years ago, is that we are more aware, more organized, more vocal, and more supportive of each other than at any other time in history.

Full Interview

Laurel
       
     
Laurel
Lisa
       
     
Lisa

What needs to happen for us to move forward?
Some days I think that something really catastrophic will have to happen to rock us out of complacency. Someone said the other day that we each need to work on the 10% that we can control and come together in community to tackle the other 90%.

Full Interview

Sharene
       
     
Sharene

What needs to happen for us to move forward? We, as a society, need to be more aware - of each other. We need to support upward and laterally and mentor those younger than us. We need to be more empathetic and patient with one another.

Full Interview

Shereé
       
     
Shereé

What are some of the influences you loved growing up that made you realize your power? It wasn’t outside influences so much as the women in my family. The strong, intelligent, loving and fearless women who raised me.

Full Interview

Peta
       
     
Peta

What do you feel needs to happen to make sure forward movement is possible? Lifting ALL women by pausing to see that NO ONE is left behind in your wake.

Full Interview

Lydia Celine
       
     
Lydia Celine

What is the hardest thing about being a woman in 2018? Challenging social expectations. Most of my peers grew up with Disney and Barbies, so we were given a very skewed idea of what we should expect from ourselves and from men especially.

Full Interview


Mei-Ling
       
     
Mei-Ling

How do you maintain your resiliency in these times? Maintain a strong support system and accept help when needed, try to focus on self-care, keep working towards the goal.

Full Interview


Meredith
       
     
Meredith

What's the most positive thing about being a woman in 2019? Knowing we are fighting side by side for our rights. The Women's March was empowering. Despite our collective hurt, anger and frustration, we banded together around the world and showed the power of our resistance.

Full Interview

Katja
       
     
Katja

What is the hardest thing about being a woman in 2018? That woman are still not equal to men and struggle for acknowledgment in todays society, even though woman balance, multitask and juggle in their professional lives as well as their personal lives to achieve success throughout. Woman are as qualified as men if not more so.

Full Interview